A MESSAGE FROM SAMANTHA MILLER, THE 2019 LCF FAIR QUEEN:
Hello, I am Samantha Miller, the 2019 Lawrence County Fair Queen, and I finally get the chance to pass on the crown to the next amazing young lady to become the 2021 Lawrence County Fair Queen. I am so glad that the fair is finally here again. We have all experienced a lot in the last year and I believe that it has made us all stronger, and has brought the community closer together.
I am thankful to all those who helped me achieve such an amazing honor. Without the support of my friends, family, and most importantly my brother, Devin, and my cousin, Abbey, I would not have thought that I could have had such an opportunity. My brother suggested I try for the position, and honestly I did not think I would actually become Fair Queen, but I am so glad I did. My cousin, Abbey, helped me throughout the week passing out candy and doing all the different events with me. I am also thankful for Emily, the 2019 Fair Princess, she helped me with all the events that I could not make it to. We both passed out ribbons, and got to help people who came to the fair enjoy their experience.
Throughout Fair week I participated in so many activities. Such as the watermelon eating challenge, making apple butter, and passing out ribbons. Being fair queen is so much more than just being part of the 4-H it is about being part of the community. Walking along the vender booths and seeing what everyone has to offer, or getting a free drink at the tasty tailgater. There are many wonderful things the Fair Queen gets to do. Emily and I made announcements over the loudspeaker to let everyone know the events throughout the day, so that they could participate if they wanted to. I volunteered to be dunked in the dunk booth, and yes it was cold and kind of nerve racking, but it was honestly so much fun!
While being Fair Queen I enjoyed being able to see all the animals, and all the smiles from everyone. Being able to pass out ribbons, and participate in so much more than I have in all my years of attending the fair. Showing my pride through fright night with the FFA and the Laurel Girl Scouts. Also being at Laurel’s FFA animal day and supporting them. As well as assisting the 4th graders in our county at Ag Encounter where we helped them to learn where their food comes from. Fair Queen comes with many responsibilities, and being Fair Queen has helped me to grow in myself and in my community.
I have learned how to be a better speaker, how smiling can not only help someone else but also the person sharing the smile, and how important the community really is as a whole and as individuals. Any young lady can be Fair Queen; you do not have to be part of 4-H or FFA or even any clubs. Being Fair Queen can be a challenge at times, but it was honestly the best experience of my life, and I am so glad that I accepted that challenge and became the 2019 Fair Queen of Lawrence County. Where we have good things growing!
INTERESTED IN BEING THE NEXT LCF FAIR QUEEN?
The Fair Queen Contest will take place on Sunday August 15th in the Community Building. The purpose of the Fair Queen Competition Program is to promote and educate young women in PA through the operation of a scholarship program providing educational opportunities and to promote greater public understanding and awareness of agriculture & its importance to PA.
Each Fair Queen shall follow the rules adopted by the Pennsylvania State Association of County Fairs. Contestant DOES NOT have to be a 4-H or FFA member to compete.
Rules and Regulations:
Each contestant must:
- Be a female who is a U.S. Citizen, a resident of Pennsylvania and living in Lawrence County.
- Be at least 16 years of age and not over 20 years old by June 1 of the current year.
- Have never served as local or state fair queen.
- Have her parents’ or guardians’ consent.
- Be single, never married, have had no children & remain so during her reign.
- Not hold any other State or Local title for any other commodity group or pageant during her reign.
- Be available/in attendance the entire week of the Lawrence County Fair.
- Be available to attend the State competition in Hershey, PA in January.
- Agree to promote the Lawrence County Fair in a positive manner throughout her reign.
- Be available for fair-sanctioned activities throughout her reign including publicity via TV, Newspaper, radio & public appearances.
- Agree to abide by the Fair Queen Dress Code & Behavior Policy.
- Provide two (2) wallet-sized colored photos (can be the same) to be used for publicity purposes. High School or college photos can be used. Photos become the property of the Lawrence County Fair. Include Photographers release if photos were taken professionally and copyrighted.
- Write an essay on “WHAT THE LAWRENCE COUNTY FAIR MEANS TO MY COMMUNITY.” Essay must be 300 words or less, typewritten and must accompany the application.
- Give a 3-5 minute speech to the judges on “WHY YOU SHOULD COME TO THE LAWRENCE COUNTY FAIR.”
- Applications are available at the Fair office or your school guidance office.
- Application must be completed by July 15, 2021, and be returned to the following address:
Lawrence County Fair “Queen Contest” 464 Midway Rd ~ New Castle, PA 16101
- Complete details can be found in the Fair Queen application packet. Further information may be obtained by calling the fair office at 724-654-7745.
Contestants will be judged on the following basis:
Personal Interview 30
Speech Presentation 30
Impromptu Question 15
TOTAL POSSIBLE POINTS 100