A MESSAGE FROM VERITY GREEN, THE 2018 LCF FAIR QUEEN:
Being the 2018 Lawrence County Fair queen was an honorable experience and I accomplished so many great things this past year that I’ll never forget. My name is Verity Green, and I would love the share my story as queen with all of our loyal fairgoers. Also, I hope to reach out and encourage girls to take interest in this amazing program.
After the crowning ceremony on Sunday evening the fun filled week of the 65th Annual fair began. My exciting week as your fair queen began at the Monday morning ribbon cutting ceremony where Secretary of Agriculture Redding took part in the opening activities and joined the fair board and me for breakfast. The rest of the week was filled with endless activities to attend and pictures to take. Some of my favorite events that I would like to recognize were the pig races which I watched several times, the beard and mustache contest, and the youth pedal tractor pulls. I want to give a special shout out to my princess Emily Withers. I could not have made it through such a hectic week without her; I truly could not have asked for a better sidekick. With so many things to do and places to be it is near impossible to be everywhere at once so having someone to endure the chaos with is a blessing.
Though I participated in several events throughout the county including the Wampum Parade, and the Laurel Toy Tractor Show, one of my favorite and most memorable events as fair queen was competing in the State Fair Queen competition on Hershey, PA. This is a weekend long competition where fair queens from all over PA compete for the title of Pennsylvania State Fair Queen. Myself and 59 other amazing girls spent our time interviewing, speaking, and advocating for our fairs all while bonding and learning all of the amazing things other fairs in PA have to offer. Though the actual competition was very busy and tiring, my experience was wonderful, and I gained experience and skills that I will carry with me forever. I would like to thank the fair board for their support and my fair queen coordinator, Rhiannon Hill for giving me guidance when I needed it. Lastly, I would like to thank my mom because I couldn’t have done it without her. She kept me organized and helped me manage my busy schedule when I had a million activities going on… all at once. I can’t thank her enough for everything she has done for me.
In conclusion I want to thank everyone for an amazing year and supporting me throughout my time at the Lawrence County Fair Queen. I am honored to represent such an amazing Fair and can’t wait to watch the next Queen reign with pride and enthusiasm. I want to encourage fairgoers to embrace all the activities the Fair has to offer and attend an event that you’ve never watched or participated in because you’d be surprised to see what you’re missing. Finally, I want to extend interest in the Fair Queen program to girls (16+) and encourage you all to look into this great experience. This program really is for anyone who appreciates and wholeheartedly loves the most popular event that brings the entire community together- the Lawrence County Fair! I have loved every minute of being your 2018 Lawrence County Fair Queen and I look forward too many more years at our Fair.
INTERESTED IN BEING THE NEXT LCF FAIR QUEEN?
The Fair Queen Contest will take place on Sunday August 11th in the Community Building. The purpose of the Fair Queen Competition Program is to promote and educate young women in PA through the operation of a scholarship program providing educational opportunities and to promote greater public understanding and awareness of agriculture & its importance to PA.
Each Fair Queen shall follow the rules adopted by the Pennsylvania State Association of County Fairs. Contestant DOES NOT have to be a 4-H or FFA member to compete.
Rules and Regulations:
Each contestant must:
- Be a female who is a U.S. Citizen, a resident of Pennsylvania and living in Lawrence County.
- Be at least 16 years of age and not over 20 years old by June 1 of the current year.
- Have never served as local or state fair queen.
- Have her parents’ or guardians’ consent.
- Be single, never married, have had no children & remain so during her reign.
- Not hold any other State or Local title for any other commodity group or pageant during her reign.
- Be available/in attendance the entire week of the Lawrence County Fair.
- Be available to attend the State competition in Hershey, PA in January.
- Agree to promote the Lawrence County Fair in a positive manner throughout her reign.
- Be available for fair-sanctioned activities throughout her reign including publicity via TV, Newspaper, radio & public appearances.
- Agree to abide by the Fair Queen Dress Code & Behavior Policy.
- Provide two (2) wallet-sized colored photos (can be the same) to be used for publicity purposes. High School or college photos can be used. Photos become the property of the Lawrence County Fair. Include Photographers release if photos were taken professionally and copyrighted.
- Write an essay on “WHAT THE LAWRENCE COUNTY FAIR MEANS TO MY COMMUNITY.” Essay must be 300 words or less, typewritten and must accompany the application.
- Give a 3-5 minute speech to the judges on “WHY YOU SHOULD COME TO THE LAWRENCE COUNTY FAIR.”
- Applications are available at the Fair office or your school guidance office.
- Application must be completed by July 15, 2019, and be returned to the following address:
Lawrence County Fair “Queen Contest” 464 Midway Rd ~ New Castle, PA 16101
- Complete details can be found in the Fair Queen application packet. Further information may be obtained by calling the fair office at 724-654-7745.
Contestants will be judged on the following basis:
Personal Interview 30
Speech Presentation 30
Impromptu Question 15
TOTAL POSSIBLE POINTS 100